Friday, November 4, 2011

unexpected

This past week, an unexpected nor'easter rocked us here in New Jersey.  Instead of raking leaves all weekend, we shoveled snow and spread salt, watching as limb after limb snapped below the weight of ice and snow, taking power lines and communications systems down with them. 



Unexpectedly, life as we planned it came to a halt for almost a week, and all we could do was watch, wait, and rest in the quiet.  We huddled together for warmth, read by candlelight, conversed, giggled, napped and enjoyed the gifts that this time offered.

 

Five years ago, an unexpected storm of a violent assault blew through my home and changed it forever.  For a long time, my life was merely a wreckage of what it had been. But, as He always does, God met me there in that mess and began to teach me how He never left my side.  He was very patient, as it took a long time to convince me. :-) 




I had carefully constructed this week to avoid dwelling on the memory, but, due to the storm, I had a LOT of time on my hands and NOT a lot of things to occupy them.  I folded them in prayer, lifted them in praise, and opened them in release and expectation.




The calm after the storm always comes, and because of the way my own life has been redeemed, I am on the lookout for the promise of beauty that arises from ashes.  It is becoming less "unexpected", and more of a wondrous curiousity.



today i wanted to be distracted
but God wanted me to remember
today i wanted to be strong and healed
but God wanted me to release
today i wanted to radiate His love
but God wanted me to receive
today i wanted to feel better
but God wanted me to feel His peace

     glistening treasures in the wake of a storm
     unexpected mercies kaleidoscope my life



"and provide for those who grieve in Zion-
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
   instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
   instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
   instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
   a planting of the Lord
   for the display of His splendor." Isaiah 61:3

No comments:

Post a Comment